Monday, March 28, 2011

Rose box, wood and clay

It has been awhile since I have posted, I have been super busy in the woodshop getting ready for another imadeitmarket show(on top of still building kitchen cabinets for my Mom's kitchen)

  This is the latest piece I have made. This box is made of red oak and the inlay rose is made of clay. I first cut out the rose design on the scroll saw, next fill the cutout with clay and then bake it in the oven. After sanding and glue up the box gets three coats of clear poly witch makes the colors of the clay pop. The box is 9inches long, 7 inches high and 5 inches deep. It would make for a great memory box, photo box, card box, etc...

  I enjoy making the clay inlays even tho it does take ALOT of time. I feel it adds color to the pieces with out just painting on a design, I really don't like to paint wood, it hides the natural beauty of the wood itself.

  So here is.....The Rose Box







This box along with many many more pieces will be for sale at the imadeitmarket show at the South Side Works on April 16 from 12 to 7pm (more details in my next post)

Enjoy and stay tuned for whats next.

No comments:

Post a Comment